The primary mission of the library is to support the educational and research programes of the College by providing physical and intellectual access to information. In accordance with the objectives of the university, the library aims to develop a comprehensive collection of documents, useful for the readers.
SSN COLLEGE LIBRARY
The College maintains a well-stocked library in Science(s), Commerce, Humanities and Social Sciences. It supports the teaching, research and extension programes of the College. All students, faculty members and employees of the College are entitled to make use of the library facilities on taking library membership. The library having a huge collection on interdisciplinary subjects likewise Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physics, Economics, Mathematics, Political science, History, Botany, Microbiology, Business Studies,etc., offers library services through its various Divisions. Initially set up in 1967-68, the Central library of the college moved to its new building in October, 2001.
There are approx 99,000 books in the library at present and about 4,000 books are added every year. As the role of the Library within any University can be realized only in the context of the institution's philosophy of education, the basic objectives of the Library are in tune with those of the D.U. They are as follows:
- To develop appropriate collections in various disciplines for satisfying the needs of the diverse clientele of the library.
- To provide reading, lending, reference, information and documentation facilities to all categories of staff and students,
The Library subscribes to more than 45 national and international journals and periodicals and 24 newspapers which provide the latest information on current events and affairs. The Library has a rich collection of books on Science and Technology including chemistry, mathematics, physics, chemical engineering, computer science, electrical and electronics engineering, biochemical and biomedical engineering, economics, business studies, etc. Besides, Library also has a good collection in the areas of Humanities and Social Science(s).A separate library on Commerce and other interdisciplinary subjects also housed in a separate building of our college.
The collection on humanities and social sciences with textbooks is housed on the ground floor of the central library. Besides general collection, the library has segregated specialized collection having separate collection codes mentioned below:
- General Collection
- Reference Books
- Text Books (TB)
- S.A.F. Books (Student's Aid Fund)
The SSNC Library provides the following services/facilities:
- Circulation service including Inter Library Loan
- Reference & Referral
- User guidance
- Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC)(processing)
- E-Resources(in computer lab)
- The library remains open on all the working days except Saturdays, Sundays and University notified holidays.
- The opening hours of the Library are from 8.00 AM to 5.00 PM
- All Library services are provided from 9.00 AM to 5.00 PM
- Lunch break is observed from 12.30 PM to 1.00 PM for all services except reading and circulation services.
Use of the Library and Library materials
- Members must show their Library Card on entering the Library, while borrowing books and journals at any time if asked to do so by the Library Staff.
- Briefcases, bags, umbrella, lunch boxes and other personal belongings must be deposited at the entrance.
- Every member must sign the register available at the entrance. Personal reading materials must be specifically indicated in the register and shown to the security guard while entering and exiting from the Library.
- Members are free to browse through the books. Books taken out of the shelves must be put on a table. Replacing the books on shelves is not encouraged as it may be misplaced. Misplaced book is a lost book.
- A Non-member can use the library material on the premises with the permission
- Readers should not mark, underline, dog-ear mark, write, tear pages or damages the Library documents.
- Strict silence, decorum and discipline must be maintained in the Library
- Member should behave in a reasonable and seemly fashion in the Library and must not damage library property or disturb other members.
- Smoking, eating, sleeping and talking loudly are strictly prohibited in the Library.
- Members should not reserve seats either for themselves or for others.
- Newspapers and magazines must be read only in the Library on specific tables and should not be taken to any other reading areas.
- No Library material can be taken out of the library without permission.
COMPUTERIZATION OF LIBRARY SERVICES
The College Library subscribed the consortium for E-resources @ N-LIST of INFLIBNET. Separate login IDs and passwords have given to students and teachers for accessing e-journals ,e-books and e-resources. It provides e-journals (full text) and e-books to all register members.
The library is in process of computerization and approx 30,000 entries were made in the software.
- A separate reading room is ready provides the much needed space for teachers to study.
- Also provided a separate well maintained cabin for VH students and of the college.
- To search different type of E-mails, Internet browsing facility is available in the library.
- E-resources are made available for teachers and students with their personal Login Ids and passwords.
- More space in Reading Room is available for all.
- Library is under renovation for infrastructural developments.
- Organized Book Fair and Information Literacy program.
- Organized Lecture on "Role of Libraries to Inculcate the reading Habits among Students"